Today we had a visit from Colleen and Aly from the SAFE Society! They came to speak about different initiatives and demographic information within Salmon Arm and area.
- Domestic violence cases are the highest risk call-out for police because of the heightened emotions
- SAFE Society crisis line: 250-832-9616 (24/7)
- They offer The Hub (shopping center on Mondays and Wednesdays), Transition House (for those fleeing violence), FREE counselling, and lots of outreach to prevent violence.
- In a 24-hour period, out of 152 programs in BC that reported, 1200 people sought help and 700 did not receive it due to lack of funding or staff to handle demand.
- This is true in Salmon Arm (said Aly): of 12 people who come to get help, 7 may not get it.
- There are many ways we can help: (1) provide human-power to wrap Christmas gifts, (2) raise awareness and items for Christmas Hampers, (3) help out at the HUB with sorting on a Tues/Thurs, (4) run a food drive for the shelter (wish list provided to Mrs. LaFleur, (5) give money and products from our Christmas Market.
- Spoiler: we’re going to do all of this.
REMINDER: We’re off to SFRC tomorrow. Please ensure I have your forms. I will NOT be calling parents tomorrow – you have had lots of notice!